Brushing and flossing are key to keeping your mouth and smile healthy. You should brush at least twice each day, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoridated toothpaste. It is especially important that you brush before going to bed at night. Make sure that your toothbrush and toothpaste are ADA-approved. You may also want to consider using an electric toothbrush. You should floss daily. Flossing cleans between the teeth and below the gum line to remove debris and harmful bacteria. Below are a few guidelines on how to properly brush and floss.
Brushing Your Teeth
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle.
- Brush every surface of your teeth (front, back and chewing surfaces) using small circles
- Avoid pushing down or applying pressure when brushing
- Remember to brush your tongue
How to Floss
- Use a piece of floss about 18 inches long
- Wrap the floss around your fingers and gently insert it between the teeth
- Wiggle the floss up and down towards and away from the gum line
- Make sure to curve around each individual tooth
- Do not “pop” the floss out since this may cause damage to the soft tissues
- Use a new portion of floss for each tooth
To learn more about oral hygiene and how to properly brush and floss, please contact SA Dental at 714-852-3140 and schedule an appointment with our dentists in Santa Ana, California, Dr. Leo Man, Dr. Roxanne Ramirez or Dr. Elizabeth Kim.