Dr. Leo Man, Dr. Roxanne Ramirez and Dr. Elizabeth Kim may recommend a night guard to help protect your teeth while you sleep. Night guards are commonly used to treat bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching) and TMJ disorders.
Night guards, sometimes referred to as occlusal guards, are a custom-made oral appliance. They are designed to fit comfortably over your teeth, providing a barrier between your upper and lower dental arch so that the teeth do not touch. This helps to prevent the grinding and clenching that damage your teeth and supporting oral structures. Once this damage has been halted, our dentists can work with you to find restorative treatments that will bring your teeth back to full function.
You may want to consider a night guard if you notice the following signs of bruxism and TMJ disorders:
- Tiredness and tension around the jaw when waking
- Excessively worn down or flattened teeth
- Cracks, fissures or fracturing of the tooth enamel
- Chronic pain around the ears, jaw and face
- Tension headaches and migraines
- Tension and pain in the neck and shoulder muscles
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Roughness or indentations around the edges of the tongue
We encourage you to schedule a consultation with our dentists if you notice any of the signs listed above. Our dentists will be able to determine if you suffer from bruxism or a TMJ disorder and whether a night guard is the best treatment for you.
Give us a call today at 714-852-3140 to make your appointment at SA Dental and learn more about night guards in Santa Ana, California!